Searchy this

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Joby, you're important!

"Drummer Boy of Shiloh" by Ray Bradbury

The Drummer, Joby, a Fourteen year old boy, is the protagonist of a short but sweet story called "the drummer boy of Shiloh" by Ray Bradbury. Joby changes as the story progresses. In the beginning he was pessimistic and depressed about how he only had a drum and two sticks to beat it while, the rest of the army had guns. He cast a shield made of pure 'emotion' and isolated his feelings.

Once, though you might not believe it, I was the cold girl who did nothing but glare at others, but I had by my side, people like the general, who told Joby he was the heart of the army and was very important. My friends had done that for me time and time again, this is because of my reputation. The bad girl, the failure child, the Emo nerd, the lies that made me harsh and seem rude to others was because of the lies. Like what Joby described, the raw youth of today, gossip, lies, and Hope.

Joby is thinking he is Unimportant, Not needed and just a hassle, that is, until the general entered the scene. The general taught Joby that he was a right hand to the general, a heart to a body, without it, it's just a bunch of untrained teens who hope to come back with fame. Joby re-thinks what he is, a un-needed peice or the heart that makes the army fight and prevail. That's what he is, the heart, dreams, and hopes of the army.

That's what I wanted to be. A needed peice, I am the pessimistic girl who knows that she can't do anything right, but people always  think otherwise. I learned that, with friends an 80% on a math test could be the next 100% in the long run. I feel closely related to Joby in that way, because we both feet unneeded, an not special. The general helped Joby feel special, my friends now, and forever will do that for me......

At least I hope they will, because that's what friends, mentors, teachers, and family are for. To teach you things you might've never known, and help you when you need that shoulder to cry on, or the gentle pat on the beck.



No comments:

Post a Comment