Searchy this

Monday, October 1, 2012

Are we blue

"Am I Blue?" by Bruce Coville

Am I blue? I kind of  hope not, but sometimes it makes me wonder. Are we all blue? On the inside I mean, or maybe do we pretend to be someone we're not? The story "Am I blue?" by Bruce Coville made me think this.
 The story starts as Vincent, the protagonist, is being bullied by Butch Carrigan, for being gay. After he is bullied he meets Melvin, his fairy god-father, at least that's what she says.  Melvin describes the 'gaydar' which is a vision that helps you see how gay a person is by how blue they are.
Vincent thinks that he's crazy for giving him that but I think it's a smart idea. Since Vincent cannot make up his mind if he's gay or not, why not let him see how many people around him are gay. That might make it easier to see that he doesn't know everything.
With said Gaydar, he sees the world with new eyes, and realizes that people say somethings that aren't true. He also sees that people lie about being gay and being straight.
Okay, What? Why lie?? It doesn't make you special, it just means that  can get away with nothing, no benefits, no regrets.
Vincent, Decides to do something drastic. Make all gays 'blue' right blue. That sparks problems, world problems.
In my own opinion that absurd. Truely absurd, but it kind of make sense, to me at least. If you can't tell the truth about yourself, or you lie, why not show it! I mean, it's not an issue for Vincent, he seems to be Bi-curious, meaning you think you like guys but you think you like girls as well. Which I believe is okay.
To sum it all up, Vincent is bi-curious. I'm straighter that an arrow, and the world is blue, right??? Wrong. People lie and cheat and steal when it comes to being gay. It makes me angry, really angry and that's my feeling about it.


No comments:

Post a Comment