Searchy this

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

OPERATION: Be normal!

LITTLE NOTE OF ADVICE! 'Tales of the Madman Underground' curse a lot, sorry if I hurt your feelings with the language I use.
"What the hell. So I'm an enabler. That's why I go to AA but not to Alateen. Got an opinion about that? Fuck you."
-Karl Shoemaker
Made it just for the blog, in honor
of the Madmen

That's Karl Shoemaker, the protagonist of the book, Tales of the Madman Underground by John Barnes. Karl Shoemaker, the son of the deceased mayor of Lightsburg, Ohio, is trying to make his way through senior year in high school as normal as possible, without being administered to the 'Madman Underground', the group therapy in his school. He also has 5 jobs, a mother who likes to use all of the savings he earns to get drunk at a bar and comeback in the morning. 

Did I also mention how he has a house that smells like a cat litter box? I'm sorry if I forgot.
When he graduates, he wants to go to the army. He thinks of it as 'Any way to get out of Lightsburg, Ohio, Asshole of the world'. The only reason he stays is because of his promise to his dad, and the fact that if he does leave, his mom will at least double the IOU's that she owes him. Which is around 1 to 2 thousand dollars, of his paychecks that he gets from his 5 jobs.

However, enough of that. The summary would spoil the story and all of the fun it is to read (I am still in the process of reading,  page 227 of 532) I want to talk about what Karl wants to be one day, the stupidest woe when it comes to school Normal. Why be Normal?? Why be the type of person who wakes up at 7:00 AM and goes to school, do work, and go home? Well, that's what I thought, because, well not everyone is normal. I mean, I know my friends and I aren't, ever.
Did you know, I used to play with lightsabers with my cousin?? Or, that I'm probably the only person who whispers Vocaloid songs under my breath when bored, and how I'm not always loud, obnoxious, and very,very catty (or bratty, I like to say catty...)? Probably not, not because I never point it out--but that's beside the point, I'll admit, I've once wanted to be normal, to be in a world where I can go home and not be grilled every night. Over time I overcame that, I thought, and hoped. Sadly, it never happened because I didn't need that crazy change. I really never cared about normal, I only cared about me, myself and I. My personality, actions, and love. It's me, and I think Karl doesn't want to accept that about himself.

HOWEVER! I also think that he wants to change because of the Madman Underground. In the story, many of them were bullied about the madman title and their personal issues. For example, Harris and Tierden, who Karl call 'pure raw fuck-me-up-the-butt small-town dumbass dickweed loser assholes.' Who are my own opinion, and probably every other person whose read this think there the typical verbal bullies, make fun of the girls and especially the madmen, because they think that they're a bunch of insane psychos, who skip class to talk about their problems. That's what makes Karl angry and annoys him about them.

Karl and I don't have a lot in common, my dad is alive and my mom doesn't get drunk and doesn't use pot and is allergic to cats. However, him and I wanted to be 'Normal' and live in a normal environment, but I think it's impossible, and can't happen, for both of us, because that's who we are, madmen for now until the end of time.    


I like a guy that will do too much for a friend, and try to hide it from them. Makes me feel like I'm just another fool instead of the biggest one in the world.
-Karl Shoemaker

Freestylers ft Belle Humble - Cracks (Flux Pavillion Remix)


5 comments:

  1. Hey I have to say love your blog! On the post I like your writing with how you added your own thinking and opinions which didn't make it boring. I like your connection to the character and the idea of being "normal". I mean how would we define "normal" is it term and can it be accomplished?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks bing! Well, I think that normal Can't be accomplished. Only because everybody really aren't normal. We're special....I guess

      OTL

      Delete
  2. Great job. You did great expressing your opinion and deciphering the book. It was not boring and makes me want to read this book. Your grammar is divine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bella you need to stop saying so many dam cureses. I do get about being normal, although, sadly nobody is.(Although for those people who think they are.) Nice blog post Bella.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Le Le! Butt (lol you get it??) sorry did you not read the heading??

      Delete